The battery and stalking trial of tennis great Jennifer Capriati scheduled for to start Dec. 17 in a West Palm Beach courtroom has been postponed to early next year, Gossip Extra has learned.
Capriati, 37, the winner of three Grand Slam titles, is facing up to two years in prison for her alleged attack on a boyfriend last St. Valentine’s Day.
Court records show prosecutors asked for the Dec. 17 trial to be postponed, and their request was granted.
Neither prosecutors nor Capriati’s defense attorney are commenting, but a source close to the former Singer Island residents says lawyers on both sides are desperate for Capriati to cop a plea — but she’s not been listening to either side.
Capriati, by the way, changed lawyer four times since she was charged with the two misdemeanors in March and pleaded not guilty.
“She’s adamant that she wants none of the public scrutiny that a plea bargain agreement would bring,” said a source close to Capriati.
“She’d probably get a year’s probation and some community service but she doesn’t want the possible ridicule.”
Capriati got mad at Gossip Extra when she was called for comment today, saying she wouldn’t comment because stories about her are usually “false.”
Gossip Extra broke the story back in March: Capriati had a rather animated conversation with her on-again, off-again boyfriend in a gym Feb. 14 in North Palm Beach, and she ended up being charged with battery.
The charge came after a half dozen complaints of stalking and harassment from former Florida State University golfer Ivan Brannan.
Capriati, winner of three Grand Slam titles in 2001-02, pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor.
In an exclusive interview with Gossip Extra last year, Capriati blasted Brannan, calling him “a real bad person.” (Click here for the interview)