MIAMI — Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez, who’s suspected of murdering a friend in Massachusetts in June, just lost out in a federal court in Miami.
Hernandez, 24, is accused in a lawsuit filed here of shooting his errand boy in the face during a night of partying in February in Miami and Riviera Beach.
In October, Hernandez’s attorneys asked U.S. District Court Judge Kathleen Williams to hold off on the civil action while the murder case continues near Boston.
But Williams decided last week that the Miami lawsuit would continue no matter what — and ordered Hernandez to file an answer to the allegations by Wednesday.
The negligence action filed by Alexander Bradley after Hernandez became a murder suspect alleged the former tight end accidentally shot him in a car parked near the 45th Street exit on I-95.
Hernandez, Bradley and others had been partying at the Miami mammary Mecca Tootsie’s before driving north in the search of another strip bar.
Bradley nearly died after he was dumped from the car and left on the pavement, but he recovered. He suffered permanent injuries to one eye. Palm Beach County Sheriff’s detectives closed to case in February because Bradley refused to cooperate.
In her order, Judge Williams told lawyers to hold off on deposing Hernandez but told them to depose other witnesses as well as Tootsie’s patrons, the cops who responded to the shooting and doctors who treated Bradley. The judge also cleared the release of Hernandez’ homeowner’s insurance policy for potential damages.
Hernandez’ lawyers argued that the ball player may have to incriminate himself if the civil lawsuit continued.