Connect with us

Gossip Extra

West Palm Man Dies After Eating Cockroaches

Broward

West Palm Man Dies After Eating Cockroaches

Cockroaches

A swarm of common American cockroaches (Special to Gossip Extra)

A 32-year-old West Palm Beach man died over the weekend after eating dozens of cockroaches and worms during a roach-eating contest in Deerfield Beach.

Ed Archbold

Ed Archbold, in a booking photo from 2004 in Monroe County. He was arrested in Marathon, in the Florida Keys, and charged with indecent exposure (Special to Gossip Extra)

The competition was organized by the Ben Siegel Reptiles store, and the winner was to get a python.

Now, Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives are investigating the death.

UPDATE: Shards of roaches likely killed Archbold

The victim was identified as Edward Archbold.

Minutes after Friday night’s contest, according to a BSO spokeswoman, Archbold started feeling ill. He started regurgitating and later collapsed shortly after exiting the store.

Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue responded to the scene and transported Archbold to Broward Health North, where he was pronounced dead.

None of the half dozen other contestants appeared to have medical issues after consuming the roaches.

An autopsy of Archbold took place over the weekend and results won’t be available for weeks.

For more of SoFla’s best gossip, click to register for the daily alerts

The store put up a video of the contest earlier today on YouTube showing Archbold gagging and choking on the insects.

The video disappeared from the site this afternoon but Gossip Extra found this one of a worm-eating contest Friday at the store:

6 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Stories

Got Gossip? Call us!

Got news for Jose? 561-801-0893!

Archives

To Top